Friday, November 7, 2008

What's on Your Change List?

Barack Obama won. He won! We won!!

Um...Now what?!

What do I do with the time, the love, the energy, the money that Barack Obama inspired me to share in my life? Where does that go now that he and his amazing campaign machine no longer need me in the same way?

I know I'm not the only one asking myself this question - millions of people donated and canvassed and voted - but only I can answer it for myself.

And I've learned something over the last few months: It turns out I can miss a few episodes of Desperate Housewives, I can ignore a few of my Facebook friend requests, and I can even go without a pedicure every now and then. Yes I can!

I can do more to effect change in the world than I ever gave myself credit for. Barack Obama has taught me that. For me, he is a genuine leader not just because he strives to make changes, but because of the changes he inspires others to make.

In fact, he's inspired me to make so many changes in my own life, that I made a Change List to keep track of them:

Jen's Change List - November 2008

1. Post a list of names and pictures of local politicians on my fridge so my whole family knows who represents us.

2. Learn conversational Spanish – for real this time.

3. Talk to my kids every time I make a donation, explaining who our money is going to and why.

4. Support good friends in bad relationships, good friends in troubled relationships, and good friends in no relationships.

5. Find a volunteer opportunity the whole family can do together.

6. Floss.

7. Visit www.change.org and www.networkforgood.org - two of many websites out there devoted to change.

8. Update my Change List

So what about you? What's on your Change List? Make one right now, and then go to this Facebook Group to share it with the world.

No comments: